Saturday, March 29, 2008

Sustainable Living Symposium 2008

Today, my husband and I attended the 2008 Sustainable Living Symposium at Loyalist College. We were invited by Louise Livingstone, a local reporter and journalist, who was one of the speakers. We went on a tour of an "off the grid" house which had been featured on a David Suzuki program. Amazing place! The owners wanted to build near the Bay of Quinte as they are sailors, but found that they were too far away from the road to get electricity services without payinga fortune, so they made a solar and wind powered house, with straw bale construction. My only objection to the house - it was full of "reproductions" instead of oringinal art! Go buy some real paintings or sculptures folks. They really don't cost much more.

We also attended lectures on how to have an environmentally friendly lawn, and I bought some "old fashioned" seeds to plant in my garden. We also learned about envrionmentally friendly home renovation for older homes - ours was built in the 1880s.
Must go now, as I have to switch off the computer and all the lights!

No comments: